Friday, August 15, 2014

The BEST and Easiest Way(s) to Dry Hydrangeas!

Welcome to the Great Dried Hydrangea Experiment!

Dried hydrangeas can look gorgeous in your home for months and months...


In the past, when I tried to dry hydrangeas, they ended up looking like this:

(A shriveled mess!)

If you don't care to see the individual results from the drying methods I used, 
here are my two best tips:

1. It's (almost) all about WHEN you cut the hydrangeas. Make sure you don't cut them too soon. They should have already started to dry when you cut them. You will know this because some of the petals will have turned "papery."

2. When drying hydrangeas, NEVER put them in water. Once you put them in a vase with water, enjoy them fresh… because they will never dry pretty! This is what I had been doing… I thought I could dry hydrangeas that I had already put in water - wrong!


With help from my mom (and lots of her gorgeous flowers), I set out to find the best and easiest way to dry hydrangeas. 

The (4) Methods I Used Were:

1. Hanging the Hydrangeas Upside Down 

Using twine, bundle the hydrangeas and tie them together. 


Hang the hydrangeas upside down in a dark closet. I opened the closet door at night for better air flow. They should be ready in 2 - 3 days.


The results after hanging upside down - I think they're beautiful!

(Results: Hanging Upside Down Method)

2. The Slow-Dry (Wet Foam) Method

Along with your hydrangeas, you will need 2 wet foam blocks, 2 shallow dishes and water.


Stick the stems into the foam blocks so that the hydrangeas are standing. Fill shallow dish with one inch of water. The foam will soak up the water gradually. It will take about 3 - 4 days for hydrangeas to dry.


The results from the slow-dry (wet foam) method - so pretty and great color!

(Results: Slow-Dry Method)

3. Silica Gel (I would recommend this method only for flowers you will be drying for wreaths or any projects where you do not need the stems attached).

Along with your hydrangeas, you will need an air-tight container and silica gel (I used "Flower Drying Art" Silica Gel).


Pour 1.5" of silica gel into your air-tight container. Cut the stems off of the hydrangeas and lay blooms face up (they should not be touching). Cover the flowers with silica gel and seal container. Let dry for 3 - 4 days. (I kept mine in a dark closet.)


The results from the silica gel method - very nice!

(Results: Silica Gel Method)

4. Simply Place The Hydrangeas In A Dry Vase (Or Pitcher)

The results from "place in vase" method ;) - pretty (and pretty easy!)!

(Results: Place In Vase Method)

So there you have it! Four different ways to dry hydrangeas.  Do you like one result best? To be honest, I was happy with each of the methods!

If you have hydrangeas, I hope you'll try drying some. They look especially gorgeous as fall decor!   

                                                             xo













2 comments:

  1. Oakleaf Hydrangeas dry perfectly in water. Once they draw up the vase water completely, they begin to air dry and become everlastings...a very pretty ecru color. If you place your Oakleaf Hydrangeas in a clear glass vase or jar and continue to water, they will also root in the vase for later planting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Hydrangeas! They are my all time favourit flowers! But everytime I by this plant to put in my house, it only lasts 2-3 weeks, and then I have managed to kill it....
    I would really like to try drying them like you did here, But it is not an easy task to find finished cut hydrangeas were I live. I did se a flower shop earlier this week selling finished cut ones, without the dirt and all, but they were allready put in water. So thats a no-no for drying them, right?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
adding pinterest script 3. Changing the Position of the Pin it! button The cool thing about this code is that you have some freedom over where the Pinterest button for Blogger will go over the image. Take a look at the code that you just copied and pasted into the HTML for the word 'center'.