Friday, January 15, 2016

Painting a Piano...

To paint, or not to paint.

That is was the question.

Here's the thing. I don't always like a painted piano.

Not everything has to be white, gray or a pale shade of blue.

While I do favor these colors, I also appreciate the history and patina of a piece.



But, the original glossy finish and tone of the wood fought with everything in the room, if not our house. Here's what the piano looked like before it was painted...


Had it been a different finish of wood (more matte, or more brown instead of cherry tone), I don't think I would have painted it.


I felt like the piano made your eye stop when you walked into our living room. I wanted it to blend in more... to be a part of the room, but not the focal point.



The piano is more "in tune" ;) with the room after being painted. 

Now, I would like to add some more natural wood or subtle color to this room for warmth, contrast and depth. 



I'll continue working on our living room, and hope to share more pictures soon. This has been the room that has been hardest for me to feel finished, since moving in two years ago. I think there's usually one room in a house like this. 

Do you have one?


For the piano, I used Behr Marquee paint from Home Depot in the "White Lie" color in an eggshell finish. The coverage was very good (I didn't need to prime) and I would describe the color of the paint as white with a gray undertone (though paint can vary depending on the lighting in the room!).


Would you ever paint a piano?

After painting ours, my recommendation would be this: If you even "kind of" like the look of your piano, don't paint it. You will probably be sad after you do, and you can't really go back.

If, like me, your piano has a beautiful sound, but you've never liked the way it looks, consider painting it.

Hope this helps!

Xo

ps - I would love for you to join me on Instagram here! Often I will post pictures on Instagram first, and also share pictures that are not always included on the blog. 

Happy weekend!



Sharing with:
Thoughts from Alice
Coastal Living
Cozy Little House
The Scoop
Savvy Southern Style
Share Your Style

24 comments:

  1. Hi Julie, I'm just dropping in on your blog for the first time. What a beautiful house you have and your barn is adorable. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly... welcome! Thank you for your kind words. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Julie, I'm just dropping in on your blog for the first time. What a beautiful house you have and your barn is adorable. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't usually like anything made of wood being painted but, that finish on your piano was TIRED! I think you did it a beautiful favor and it really does blend in with the room. I do understand that to re-finish the wood without painting it would have been a monstrous project. High five to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes, it was tired but now has a little new life in it (at least cosmetically :) and still sounds great. Have a great weekend and thank you for writing!

      Delete
  4. Hi Julie, I am also a new but old viewer. I have been checking your blog for a year now and I added you to my blogroll because I love your home decor and all that you do to make it look so lovely. I am just amazed at how beautiful the piano came out. You did a great job...Millie

    http://frugaliciouschick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Millie! I appreciate that.

      Delete
  5. I totally agree with you! My piano was very similar to yours and I ended up gifting it to my son and daughter-in-law when they married a year ago! I'm going to show your pics to her and see if she would like me to paint it - I love how yours turned out! I'm sharing this today on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see it, if you do paint it! Thank you so much for sharing and for your kind words Doreen.

      Delete
  6. On this piece, I totally agree with you. It stood out like a sore thumb. Looks much better now!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks great! I have almost the same piano, but maybe not as much cherry color and I think about painting it every month. I think ours would stand out more if I did, but..................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your pain! Let me know what you decide...

      Delete
  8. Good choice to paint the piano. Love the way it looks but what a job it must have been. I need to paint my kitchen cabinets but I can't seem to get started.
    ~ ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your piano does look beautiful after painting. Seems like it would be a huge job, especially painting around the keyboard. It really freshened up the look from the original wood.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh! It looks SO much better! I would have painted it too.

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it in white! Of course, I'm a huge fan of painted furniture anyway. I don't have a piano but if I did, I might follow in your footsteps.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMGosh I have been kicking around painting our piano for about a year. It is old and came with the house. Now that I have seen yours painted and looking gorgeous I may just have to take the plunge! Thank you for the inspiration!!!
    XO Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  13. I cannot believe the work involved in painting a piano. Great Transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks great! I totally get the tug of war with the paint or not to paint. I agree it has to work with your home.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like how the piano turned out. When I look at mine I consider painting it but I guess I'm not there yet. You have make me realize it may be a good thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been kicking around painting my piano... it's very similar to yours... It may be my next project!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks gorgeous! Great choice to paint it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I painted ours in November. I hated the way it looked before. It was sort of an orange maple finish. It had water damage and took up so much visual space.
    It didn't go with anything in the room. I love it now. Yours is gorgeous white. It was hard to do and I felt guilty for a bit but I don't regret it at all. Looking forward to your reveal.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
adding pinterest script 3. Changing the Position of the Pin it! button The cool thing about this code is that you have some freedom over where the Pinterest button for Blogger will go over the image. Take a look at the code that you just copied and pasted into the HTML for the word 'center'.