Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Introducing Our Babydoll Southdown Sheep...



I'm happy to introduce you to George, Winston, and Teddy, our new Babydoll Southdown Sheep! (If you follow along with me on Instagram or Facebook you have already been lamb-spammed by me. Sorry, but they're just sooo cute!)


This is our fifth spring living here at our little farmstead, and I have been dreaming of having Babydoll sheep pretty much since we moved in. I went back and checked my emails, and  I've been inquiring about Babydoll sheep from breeders since our first spring here. I don't remember where I first saw Babydoll sheep, but I think it was online. 

They have these sweet teddy bear faces, and often appear as if they're smiling! Babydoll sheep only grow to 18-24" (at the shoulder), so they're easy to keep even on small acreage. 


You may have seen my post on our road trip down to Northern California over spring break. We visited the most beautiful ranch, Moon Hollow Ranch. We got to spend some time with Babydoll sheep, and our kids fell in love with them too. My husband was impartial, but since having our own, they've grown on him. (The fact that they're natural weeders helps!) 

We ended up purchasing our sheep from Moon Hollow Ranch a few weeks later, after we returned home. The livestock manager was able to help coordinate transportation, which was really helpful.


Teddy (below, on the right) is especially friendly and will baaaaa when we come near, running to see us. So yes, to answer your question, we got the sheep primarily for pets. We also like that they can help keep weeds down in the areas that they're kept. In addition, I plan on getting their wool spun when we have them sheared each year. I'm not sure how expensive it is to do this, but I can't help but dream of a wool blanket for each of our boys made from our own sheep. Ah, how my dreams have changed over the years... ;)


I love the feeling of having life in our barn... and such friendly life at that! It makes me smile to see our boys interact with our animals. To me, animals add to the comforting feeling of home. They do require some work, but they're worth it!


Have you seen Babydoll sheep? Do you have any animals you dream of having someday?
I'd love to hear!

Thank you so much for stopping by today,
Xo

15 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm so glad you enjoy seeing them too. I appreciate you stopping by and hope you have a great day!

      Delete
  2. Love those babydoll sheep--so glad you got them--and please post photos often of them--my dream is miniature rabbits--to love and to photograph--think there would be lots you could do with them for photos--but that dream is very not likely--I live in a Senior complex--cause of income--boooo!!! So I live some of my dreams through blog folks like you--thanks--
    enjoy, di

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Di! So sweet of you. I hope you get your mini rabbits! When you do, please send me some pics! :)

      Delete
  3. Julie these are just too adorable. Those sweet faces. How fun you are living your life dreams and making them happen. If I had a farm I sure would want these sweet animals around too. Oh and if you can shear them and have blankets made from their wool would be so fantastic. I hope you can make that work. They are just darling.
    xoxo
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kris! I'm definitely going to try for those blankets. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  4. The first time I saw baby doll sheep was in a picture in a magazine that I cut out and still have on my dream board in the bedroom. So sweet! Lucky you, lucky family and lucky baby doll sheep because I'm sure they are going to have a wonderful life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, you did? There's just something about them isn't there?! I hope you have them someday! Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  5. They are so adorable! I wonder if they would come in under the 30-pound pet rule in my apartment building!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're not quite that small I'm afraid. :) Maybe their first few weeks of life!

      Delete
  6. Thank you because you have been willing to share information with us. we will always appreciate all you have done here because I know you are very concerned with our. Bodies and Playsuits

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have just gotten Southdown sheep this last fall and have our first little lamb named Ivy. What a fun experience. I have also been blogging about our expanding homestead in Maine. We also raise pigs, chickens, ducks and turkeys... come visit my blog if you love Southdown sheep and backyard farming. https://castonguaythisnthatfarm.blogspot.com/2021/02/ivy-our-little-lamb.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this. I really like what you've posted here and wish you the best of luck with this blog and thanks for sharing. Pergolas Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  9. The way you described each sheep's personality and quirks gave me a genuine appreciation for the uniqueness of these Babydolls. I could practically feel the warmth and fuzziness through the screen.
    Best Rooftop Restaurants in NYC

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
adding pinterest script 3. Changing the Position of the Pin it! button The cool thing about this code is that you have some freedom over where the Pinterest button for Blogger will go over the image. Take a look at the code that you just copied and pasted into the HTML for the word 'center'.