Thursday, August 9, 2018

Our Summer Vegetable Garden...



My green thumb came only as a result of the mistakes I made while learning to see things from the plant's point of view. 
~ H. Fred Ale

I'm still working on my green thumb, but there is so much truth to that quote, isn't there? This is the time of year we wish we could freeze our garden. We've hit the sweet spot and are harvesting zucchini, lettuce, tomatoes, and peppers...


Our lettuce did much better this year in the galvanized steel stock tank.


We gathered some sticks from our property, and tied with twine to make a little teepee trellis that we used for the peppers.


Tonight we used the peppers from the garden to make fajitas. It's kind of funny just how much pride we take in our home-grown produce. If you heard us, you would think we'd invented farming... ;)



And we're looking forward to the pumpkins growing... We only have a small area of pumpkins (below). But I dream of making a real, respectable, pumpkin patch one day. The ranch behind us beat us to it - they have a pumpkin/corn patch complete with scarecrows. It's taken us about a month to not flinch when we see the scarecrows out of the corner of our eyes. And our dogs have finally come to accept them as friendly guards instead of intruders...


The herbs are doing well, and the bees are busy!


This is the first year I've planted an area of wildflowers... and I'm hooked! 


Even though we planted hundreds of wildflowers seeds, I'm still surprised when they grow and bloom. It's like Christmas in the garden...


Did you plant a garden this year? What has been most successful? (For us, it's been zucchini, lettuce, tomatoes, and peppers. We did not get to enjoy many snow peas this year - but the rabbits did.)

Thank you for stopping by today friends!

Xo

7 comments:

  1. Your vegetable garden looks gorgeous. Beautiful quality produce and such healthy looking plants. The wildflowers are just lovely. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! I appreciate that so much. Hope you have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. Great photos...love your teepee trellises!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you like the teepee trellis - it's a simple solution for either climbing plants or ones that need a little extra support.

      Delete
  3. Oh Julie you should be so proud of your garden veggies. Oh my they look so great. I have never seen a purple pepper like that. How cool is that! I am a pepper fan love them. I know it must feel so great to grow your own fresh veggies to enjoy. The flavors must be so amazing. Happy rest of the week.
    xoxo
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kris! Yes, it is amazing how much more flavorful the veggies are straight from the garden. Our kids are not big vegetable eaters but they will try many of the veggies we grow, so that's a bonus! :) I hope you enjoy the weekend!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful garden Julie! I agree so much more meaningful when you eat or cook your own produce. I would love to try to grow some lettuce this fall. Here in Texas it's so hot but I think they would do well here in the fall. I also dream of a nice pumpkin patch. Maybe next year! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
adding pinterest script 3. Changing the Position of the Pin it! button The cool thing about this code is that you have some freedom over where the Pinterest button for Blogger will go over the image. Take a look at the code that you just copied and pasted into the HTML for the word 'center'.