Sunday, June 28, 2015

Farmhouse Kitchen (Simple Solutions)


A lot of living happens here, in this kitchen. 
With three growing boys, it seems someone is always hungry!

Especially during these summer days, when the kids are home from school and spending lots of time being active outdoors...they can really work up an appetite.

Some days, I'll just finish washing the breakfast dishes when someone begins asking, "Did we have lunch yet?" (Help me Rhonda.) 

I've found a few easy solutions that have made every day
 living just a little smoother...


I recently added this shallow basket with silverware and napkins on the counter. Our boys are still getting used to it and sometimes ask, "Mom, could you get me a fork?" I smile to myself as I answer, "It's right there, honey..." 

I'll admit, I'm not the most organized person. So yes, this little remedy brings me satisfaction as I consider the time and energy it has saved. (Small victories.)


Another challenge in our kitchen had been the higher-than-usual cabinets. It was hard for our youngest two boys to get a glass to drink from - - they would climb onto the counter - - dirty little summer feet and all.

I had brought in the white step stool (below) several months ago. It works well when our youngest helps me bake or is "working" at the counter. 

However, it is apparently too labor intensive to move across the kitchen when one is teetering on the verge of dehydration.


So, we purchased this affordable ($14.99) wire glass drying rack from World Market. 


Now, the glasses are in easy reach for the thirsty kiddos.
(Thanks to my sister for the idea!)


Do you have any time-saving or organizational tips for the kitchen? I'm all ears...



So glad you stopped by today!

37 comments:

  1. I love the glass drying rack--cute and functional! When my kids were little, we cleared a shelf in one of the lower cabinets just for snacks. I put little Tupperware bowls in there as well so they could help themselves without breaking anything. It also prevented them from getting into things I had earmarked for meals. :-)

    Enjoy these wonderful days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that idea of having one cabinet for help-yourself-snacks... because, yes, meal items sometimes get eaten prior to meals - especially in summer! :)

      Delete
  2. Great ideas...love the chippy blue wire basket your using for napkins and silverware! Functional and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great thinking! I keep my flatware in two red painted terra cotta pots in a vintage box. Never have to open a drawer around here much! I'm all for keeping things simple.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember your terra cotta pots as flatware holders - - and I remember thinking what a great idea!

      Delete
  4. I love the drying rack for the glasses, too! What a fabulous idea and looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are great ideas with little ones around. I have one of those bottle racks from World Market too and I use it for coffee cups next to the coffee maker. I like how you use it for glasses for your kids. I didn't know they come in white now! Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think the white became available just recently...

      Delete
  6. We also have that glass rack--from World Market--that we use for coffee mugs next to our coffee maker. Another idea--my husband built me a simple box with a 2" lip that holds 7 (2 qt.) jars full of snacks. Let's kids and adults see what we have and to make their own choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that idea for snacks, thank you for sharing!

      Delete
  7. great solutions to help the kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are great ideas to make life a little easier during the summer!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great solutions...I especially LOVE that basket! It's so unique, I've never seen one like it!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two great ideas you have here...loving that cute basket.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Julie! I found your blog through Junk Chic Cottage and I am so glad I did - it's fantastic. Love your kitchen and I love my World Market glass holder as well. It's so versatile and I 've used it all over the place. I think I am going to try it out as a necklace and bracelet holder next. Looking forward to following your blog. Have a happy fourth! Jane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great ideas! Your kitchen is just lovely and I like the drying rack idea! Have a wonderful day!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your kitchen is just lovely. I almost bought the same glass rack from World Market. It looks perfect in your kitchen. Love your bar stools...are they Restoration Hardware? Simple living is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How lovely. I am finding inspirations all over this space.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love wire drying racks. I never thought of looking for them in World Market. Thanks for the info!!! It looks great in your kitchen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. love your barstools. Where did you find those?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tammy! Thank you, we purchased them at World Market about 2 years ago. They get a ton of use and have held up perfectly. Very sturdy and I love the design.

      Delete
  17. Love the stools. Where did you find them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just purchased these stools! Love them. Now, I'm questioning my table and chairs that are close by. What type of dining set do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the barstools also! We've had black metal ones with vinyl cushion seats for 12 years now. Just recently, one has a knick - probably from someone's fancy bedazzled jean pocket. Looking for something sturdy, but cute -- yours are darling! <3

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love love the idea of putting napkins and silverware where the little hands can reach it! I have 3.5 year old twins and I feel like I'm constantly getting them something while trying to finish up cleaning or sitting down to eat myself!!! Where did you purchase the bar stools?
    Thanks :)
    Jillian
    (219momma.com)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Where are the srools from?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi! Where are the barstools from? I’ve been looking for those for a year😂

    ReplyDelete
  23. great kitchen solution ideas, very helpful in designing the ideas for kitchen interior designing and can use marble kitchen countertops

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for such an informative post. You have mentioned the amazing facts. Your articles are always amazing. Keep posting!
    Wooden Bar Stools With Backs

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
adding pinterest script 3. Changing the Position of the Pin it! button The cool thing about this code is that you have some freedom over where the Pinterest button for Blogger will go over the image. Take a look at the code that you just copied and pasted into the HTML for the word 'center'.